Fit to Keel

July 02, 2020 Jhaye-Q Baptiste 0 Comments




 
"Life does throw shit at you; but it also throws flowers." -- The Dispossessed, co-author of novels Deep Love and Neverland, We Come


HOW DO YOU WALK through the world and not be struck?

What do you have to become to not experience this pain?

Listen, once you are a feeling human  being, it is impossible to live in life and be safe in heart.

It might be difficult to imagine, but there are people like me who feel everybody's pain. So when we see things happening in our world, like the recent rioting in America, and now even home here in my Trinidad & Tobago, I feel the pain anybody is enduring, be they Black (and, YES, I do write it with a capital B), Caucasion, cop or average citizen.

Compassion and conscience do not see separation when they consider a person hurting.

No ... and that's what makes us want to demonstrate care: be it in an act of kindness or protection; a sweet show of understanding; the strong, simple-seeming choice to stand down even as we remain committed to continue the good fight.

Sometimes I feel all this feeling will make me keel over and die. 

Cliche? Not if it's perfectly accurate. But better to keel than kill, I say.

Sometimes it is unendurable to imagine, much less witness, human beings doing unto others what they would never choose for themselves.

We should remember, always remember, there is so much more to us than hate and strife. That we have, not just the potential, but the power to be like we believe the angels to be ... and do.

Great, I'm crying. 

I'm so mad at all the shit we do. Why must we? I mean, really, must we? 

It's simple, truly: we do not have to hurt each other. We don't.

But we'll keep doing it, right. And inside ourselves we don't even stop to ask, "Why?"

When all feels like a wrecking ball do what I, and others, try to do: look for a beautiful thing.

Shine on


Desire more Caribbean view of life, link up: Jhaye-Q Shows
The images here are not for use, but for free photos: Jhaye-Q Trinbago Photography