Ride or Die

September 23, 2019 Jhaye-Q Baptiste 0 Comments


SOMETIMES we have the luxury of defeat. But living demands endurance. Keep on riding. Photo by Jhaye-Q

MY BIRTHDAY was a few months ago.
     I have lived to love a country that produced multi-ethnic me, but upholds and holds out ethnic bigotry toward me. 
     I have lived through loving a people that more times than not labours to try to make me hate myself in the same way that I, and those like me, are hated. 
     I have lived in the pain that comes with enduring. I have lived beyond being speared by beauty, as one can only be in an often ugly, ugly world. 
     I have lived holding on to the hope that keeps me trying to do good and to be productive even as I am treated as worthless. I live on, though the very nation I serve, and will keep serving, strives to put out my light.
     Hiding is over. There is so much work to be done. 

     I will shine on.

THEN: Freshly minted journalist

NOW: Renascent and still reaching for the right