If You Could See What I Say

February 20, 2019 Jhaye-Q Baptiste 1 Comments


Can you "say" with all certainty what is happening in this or any of the other images here? Think about it.



T'is said, "A picture is worth a thousand words." I heartily disagree.
     Call it writer's bias, but remember I am also a visual creatist and Art major. So allow me to explain.
     See, pictures are like poetry: they need to be interpreted. People interpret in language. Yes, like language interpreters.
     People look at a picture and they think. Our thoughts are delivered with and in words:What is happening in this picture? I know what is happening in this picture. I can't say what is happening in this picture. 
     The last one is of particular evidence. If we are asked, "What's this?" sometimes we respond, "I can't say." To us, understanding means we can describe, tell, relate, explain, say what is the what.

     If we cannot say, have we understood?
     
     In truth, we each write very personal, even subjective stories about pictures. That's why it is said, "No two people see alike."
     We are all storytellers of the visual. Stories must be told.
     Pictures exist and they are of such worth. But words, our words, make a picture of worth to us.
     Mind you, it's not a competition. I'm aiming for synchronicity. 
     This particular blog-o-mine is intended to be very Trinibago photocentric. Instead of only writing a post and then finding the most apt image; I will take a photo and find a correlation with something perhaps bigger than the subject therein, then elaborate, amplify, illuminate with words.
     I will even have a special feature in the sidebar called Pix Picks: like a photo of the day or week. Hope that gets me off the hook with people who think I'm hating on images because I'm more of a wordsmith.
     Here's what I know: Pictures help us see words. Words help us say pictures.

Shine on

All photos by Jhaye-Q

Bring your lunch and come: "Paperbag Concert Series," National Library, Port-of-Spain;
featuring the Trinidad &Tobago Steel Orchestra

A young writer laps up inspiration from art at the Trinidad & Tobago National Museum

What thoughts, what words fill the mind of this subject and of her photographer?
Wait, they're one and the same.