To Be or Not To Business

February 01, 2019 Jhaye-Q Baptiste 0 Comments

The message on the banner, if lived by, could help us DO all kinds of uplifting business.
Photo by Jhaye-Q

DOH is a starring word in local calypso and soca. Like wine, wave, jump; just not as noticeable a verb because it's less directly connected to wild dancing.

       "DOH back-back on me."
       "Ah tell yuh DOH touch me."
       "He DOH like ugly."
       "Ah DOH want to wuk for Carnival."
       DOH. Or "don't," to the uninitiated in our Trini-speak.
       The recent mother of all Road March tunes (the song that is most played on Carnival Monday and Tuesday for people to jump-up in their costumes on the streets and to cross the grand stage) was "We Jammin' Still," by MX Prime and the Ultimate Rejects (who look so presentable and acceptable I sense the name is ironic).
"The city could bun down, we jammin' still!"
       It was brilliant; and I don't just mean the beat you could dance to. 
       I mean the multi-layered message behind it that was an aggregate, a callaloo, of satire, socio-political commentary, subversive rant and, in no small measure, an insurgent yawp rallying us to find our way back to being better. As in: you're sick, then you're better.
       So about a year after that I saw a guy wearing a Tee with the words: "We DOH business." Translation from Trini, "We don't give a damn!"
       I instantly disliked the jersey.
       Then I realised it was actually meant to be the sub-division refrain from the Road March in question: "We DOH business. (Uhruh!!!) We DOH business. (Uhruh!!!)"
       And because I liked the song, I stepped sideways in my psyche and assessed the message from an altered state.
       I thought of my beautiful, bountiful, so often backward country, and was moved to speculate about the strident statement, "What if we took out the 'h.' What would it effect?"

Shine on